Friday, June 16, 2017
Tuesday, March 12, 2013
- Tremors- shaking of hands and feet,
- Slowness of all activities,
- Stiffness of arms and legs,
- Loss of balance while standing or walking.
- Mask-like facies or expressionless face, (even in situations of happiness, they may fail to express it on the face),
- Stooped posture, with head & trunk bent forwards,
- Slurred and low volume speech (it is often difficult to comprehend what they are saying),
- Slow speed of walking,
- Reduced swinging of arms while walking,
- Very small letters while writing, referred to as Micrographia,
- Reduced blink rate (which makes them give a staring look),
- Short, shuffling steps while walking,
- Loss of balance while turning, leading to falling forwards.
- Giddiness while sitting up or standing- this is because of drop in BP while standing, which is a side effect of levodopa/carbidopa (syndopa/sinemet),
- Behavioural disturbances- agitation, hallucinations (seeing something that is not there or hearing something when no one is speaking, etc), sleep disturbances can occur with syndopa, especially if the last dose is taken late (such as after ).
- Nausea, vomiting, loss of appetite may occur with syndopa.
- Abnormal movements of hands or feet, akin to dancing or rhythmic movements, referred to as dyskinesias.
- There is no cure available for PD,
- Disease continues to progress despite medical treatment, and the severity of disease would worsen over time,
- The disease leads to severe motor disability, hampering the activities of daily living and occupation,
- There is generally no increase in the chances of death, if the patients are looked after well.
- However, it should be noted that a reasonably good quality of life can be maintained with proper medical treatment and physiotherapy for more than 20 years after the onset of PD symptoms.
If you have any additional queries on Parkinson's disease, please send me an email: email@example.com
DR SUDHIR KUMAR MD (Medicine), DM (Neurology)
Senior Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Health City, Hyderabad, India